"Abbey and Altenmunster of Lorsch" is the official name of Lorsch Abbey on the UNESCO World Heritage List. This means there are two places very close to each other that this status refers to.
While the abbey's complex with its gate hall gets visitors' attention very easily only a little amount of people find their way to the Altenmunster, a small original abbey at the river Weschnitz called Abbey on the Isle in the Codex of Lorsch. It was found by the district Count Cancor and his mother Williswind as an aristocratic proprietary monastery, but shortly after its foundation in 764 it was passed on to archbishop Chrodegang of Metz. This abbey became famous very fast, which is why three years later it was necessary to move the complex to the current location. Afterwards the Altenmunster did not seem to be used for a long time until it was renovated by abbot Udalrich (1056-1075).
There is nothing left of the original over ground structure of the Founding monastery, and even the location itself was forgotten. As two archaeological sites were possible – east of the main abbey at the Weschnitz as well as about three kilometers south of the abbey at the Seehof - a controversy about the actual location inflamed during the 19th century. At the end most of the arguments referred to an identification of the Altenmunster with the findings on the so called Kreuzwiese at the Weschnitz, by this day the current status of research.
Already during the 1980s the outlines of the church were implied through walls. Additionally, since 2014 earth fills mark the location of the building.